Advancement and Recognition
Recognize Adults in Your Unit
There are a number of awards in Scouting that recognize adults who make contributions to Scouting. Please nominate adult volunteers in your unit to recognize those deserving leaders. Your volunteers work hard to provide our youth a great and educational program. Recognize their efforts and sacrifices with the public recognition of a Scouting award.
Nominations are due December 31st. Awards will be made at the Annual District Recognition Banquet on Sunday, January 20, 2018.
Click the READ MORE button for forms and nomination process.
Questions about Scouter awards, please contact Activity Chair, Theresa Kaualoku Here.
Boy Scout Advancement Changes
The BSA recently announced changes to the overnight camping requirements for Second Class and First Class as well as changes to how Scouts earn Eagle Palms - both take effect August 1st.
Blackland Prairie District Eagle Scout Board-of-Review (BoR)
To schedule your Eagle Board-of-Review, you must have completed the following:
- Your Eagle project and support documentation
- Received VERIFICATION of the Eagle Scout Rank Application form (#512728) - Check with your Unit's Advancement Coordinator on process or you may submit the Eagle Scout Rank Application directly to Kember Madsen at Circle Ten Council by emailing to KemberMadsen@scouting.org or hand delivery to Council office at 8605 Harry Hines Blvd, Dallas. You should receive a response within ten (10) days.
- Print application verification email and attach to your Eagle Scout Rank Application.
- Submit the completed Eagle Scout Rank Application and all supporting documents (including verification letter) to Blackland Prairie District Advancement Chair/Committee no later than the 1st day of the month.
- Follow up with email to the District Advancement Chair alerting them that you have submitted your complete Eagle Scout credentials package.
- You will receive a confirmation email with the date and time slot of your Eagle BoR.
Eagle Scout BoR for Blackland Prairie District are held on the third Thursday of most months at:
Good Shepherd Episcopal Church
11122 Midway Road
Dallas, TX 75229
Use the Northaven Road parking lot and entrance on the east side of the church.
To help you with this process, Blackland Prairie has a checklist to ensure you have all the necessary supporting documentation. Please download the "Eagle Credentials Checklist".
- You and your unit leadership should review all of the Eagle Scout candidate credentials
- The checklist guides you and the unit’s leadership through a detailed review of the Eagle Scout Rank Application and supporting documentation for completeness and accuracy.
- Inaccurate or incomplete documentation will likely delay your board of review and could potentially prevent you from attaining the Eagle Scout rank.
- Please include the check-marked copy of the checklist in your Eagle Scout credentials package.
For clarification or more information, please contact:
Martin Meletio, Blackland Prairie Advancement Chair
IMPORTANT NOTE: It is preferred the Scout be in full uniform for his Eagle Scout board of review. He should wear as much of it as he owns, and it should be as correct as possible, with the badges worn properly. Since the Order of the Arrow sash is worn only at OA events and when representing the OA; it is never worn over the belt or with a merit badge sash. Wearing an OA sash at the Eagle Scout BoR is not appropriate.
Eagle BoR Etiquette:
- Eagle candidates should arrive 15 minutes before their scheduled board.
- Troops must provide 2 to 3 members for the board, all at least 21 years old. They need not be on an advancement committee or registered with the Boy Scouts of America, but they must have an understanding of the purpose and importance of the review. Guide to Advancement, no. 22.214.171.124
- Scoutmasters and Assistant Scoutmasters may not serve on a Board of Review for a scout in their own unit.
- Parents or guardians may not serve on a board for their own son.
- Board members should arrive 30 minutes early to review the applicant’s materials.
The following files can be downloaded by clicking on them below and will prove helpful:
Blackland Prairie LTE Process Flowchart Blackland Prairie
Eagle Scout Service Project Workbook, No. 512-927
Eagle Scout Rank Application, No. 512-728
Eagle Palm Application, No. 512-728